I found the original version of this recipe on the Betty Crocker website. I made it healthified by using Heart Smart Bisquick and reduced fat cheese. The little things do make a difference with fat and calories.
I should have read over this recipe a little more before I made it though. Why? I’m not a fan of eggs, never have liked them. I assumed that the Bisquick/egg mixture would make a crust-like topping, but that’s not the case. The mixture instead fills the pan bringing all the ingredients together. It didn’t taste bad though, just not my sort of thing. If you like eggs or casseroles made with eggs, you’ll love it! And it’s super filling. 🙂
- 9 oz frozen broccoli florets, thawed and drained
- 1-1/2 c shredded cheddar cheese, divided
- 1 c cut-up cooked chicken or 2 cans (5oz ea) chunk chicken, drained
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 1/2 c Bisquick Heart Smart mix
- 1 c milk
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 2 eggs
- Heat oven to 400 degrees. Spray 9″ glass pie plate with cooking spray.
- In a large bowl, combine broccoli, 1 cup of the cheese, chicken, and onion. Spread in pie plate.
- In medium bowl, whisk remaining ingredients until blended. Pour over broccoli mixture.
- Bake 35-38 minutes or until knife inserted in center comes out clean. Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 cup cheese and bake 1 to 2 minutes longer or until cheese is melted. Let stand 5 minutes before serving.
The original recipe calls for a medium onion, but I feel it is entirely too much so I recommend using a small onion.
Use reduced fat cheese to lower the fat and calories. You can use original Bisquick mix but it will add fat and calories.