The 2010 Dietary Guidelines for Americans was released today. This is the federal government’s nutritional guide which aims to promote health, reduce the risk of disease, lower obesity through nutrition and activity. According to the press release, “Because more than one-third of children and more than two-thirds of adults in the United States are overweight or obese, the 7th edition of Dietary Guidelines for Americans places stronger emphasis on reducing calorie consumption and increasing physical activity.”
The USDA and HHS will release more advice and tools, including a new Food Pyramid, in the coming months. Below are just a few of the tips which will be released:
- Enjoy your food, but eat less.
- Avoid over-sized portions.
- Make half your plate fruits and vegetables.
- Switch to fat-free or low-fat (1%) milk.
- Compare sodium in foods like soup, bread, and frozen meals – and choose the foods with less.
- Drink water instead of sugary drinks.
That is sound advice for anyone trying to live a healthy lifestyle. I currently practice all of the tips except the sodium – I really need to start paying attention to that. I buy reduced sodium products (like broth and soy sauce) but I need to start making a conscious effort to lower my sodium intake.