Occasionally I like to go a little out of my element; like do crazy things and eat fruit with chicken. Yep.. that’s right. Fruit with chicken.
And here’s a little something about me. I don’t like fruit unless it’s a melon or a banana. So for me to put cranberries and citrus in a dish is just.. insane. But guess what? It was absolutely delicious. Oh and guess what else? It has bacon.
Now that I’ve got you, here’s the recipe.
- 6 boneless skinless chicken breasts, frozen
- 3/4 c Russian salad dressing
- 1 pkg dry onion soup mix
- 1 2oz pkg fully cooked bacon, chopped
- 1/4 c no-pulp orange juice
- 1 can (16oz) whole berry cranberry sauce
- Lightly spray slow cooker with cooking spray. Place frozen chicken breasts in slow cooker.
- Mix together the dressing, soup mix, bacon, orange juice, and cranberry sauce.
- Pour mixture evenly over the chicken, cover, and cook on high for 4 to 6 hours.
I recommend spreading the chicken out as evenly as possible in order to get the most coverage from your sauce. And never, ever lift the lid off your slow cooker. If you do it just once, you may need to add 30 minutes or more to your cooking time.
Switch up the Russian salad dressing variety for a tangy version or even a bacon version for a different flavor. If you can’t find Russian salad dressing, I recommend using “sweet & tangy” french or catalina dressing. This recipe is adapted from one I found in a Schwan’s catalog.