My 8 year old son loves this dish. If he planned dinner, we would be eating Southwest Hashbrown Casserole every night. It is super easy to make, doesn’t take much prep time, and is delicious! Try my healthy variations to get each serving down to around 300 calories.
- 1 lb lean ground beef or turkey
- 1 pkg southwestern style hashbrowns
- 1 can cream of mushroom soup
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 can french fried onions
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees. Cook ground beef in skillet until browned; drain well.
- In a 13×9 glass dish, add cooked beef, hashbrowns, soup, sour cream, and cheese. Stir until well combined and spread evenly in the dish.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Remove dish from oven, top casserole with french fried onions, and bake 3-5 minutes longer.
I only use Simply Potatoes Southwestern Style hashbrowns. I also prefer to make this casserole using the cheddar flavored french fried onions. This casserole freezes well.
To make this recipe as healthy as possible, use 97% lean ground beef and fat free soup, sour cream, and cheese. It still tastes good – promise!